Every month, many women have to go through a few days of menstruation and all of the symptoms it brings. For some, this may mean a lot of unbearable and annoying cramping.
Fear not, however, as you can fight the menstrual cramps naturally so you aren't uncomfortable. Read on to find out five ways you can alleviate the discomfort without reaching for the pain meds!
1. Stay hydrated – Water may be the best defense for bloating during your period. To avoid feeling crampy, make sure you are drinking enough every day – 64 ounces is recommended for most women. Fresh, warm tea can also help relax cramping muscles.
2. Healthy snacking – Along with water, foods that are easy to digest while having a high water content are also helpful to battle menstrual cramps. Celery, watermelon, and cucumbers are all good choices during that time of the month. On the other hand, you want to avoid foods and drinks that can trigger your muscles, such as dairy products, alcohol, caffeine, and red meats.
3. Heating pad – Just as warm water can soothe cramping muscles, a heating pad can also help relieve the discomfort. Turn the pad on to low or medium heat and avoid applying it directly to your skin. Pressing it against your lower abdomen with a shirt on will be effective enough to help curb the pain. A warm bottled water is a good alternative if you don’t have a pad on hand.
4. Light exercise – It may be the last thing you want to do when suffering from menstrual cramps. However, moderate activity can help loosen up the muscles and release endorphins, both of which will help your pain go away. Walking and yoga are two excellent activities you can do to alleviate the cramping.
5. Warm bath – Keeping with the water theme, drawing yourself a warm bath when fighting menstrual cramps can help in multiple ways. For one, the heat will ease the muscles in your lower abdomen. It will also let your mind relax, and prevent you from wanting to tense up or assume the fetal position, which will only make the cramping worse.
How do you fight menstrual cramps each month?