When you’re preparing for a night of romance, there’s a few tried and true methods of creating a mood. You cook delicious food, or go out to a fancy restaurant. You wear high heels and sassy underwear. You turn down the lights, find some candles, and make a playlist of John Coltrane and Miles Dais.
But what do you do to get in the mood…to write?
No, I don’t mean writing about sex! I mean writing about anything. Believe it or not, this writing thing can be hard, and many writers have had to develop methods for getting into the writing mood. Here’s mine:
1) Hang out on Twitter or Facebook until you’ve seen so many people say that they’re going to write that you feel guilty enough to do so yourself.
2) Take a writing challenge (like 1K 1hr) with a friend. Anything for accountability!
3) Put on your slippers and wrap up in a blanket. You are less likely to wander around the house looking for something else to do if you are warm and cozy.
4) Get a fresh cup of coffee. Even if you’ve already had four that morning.
5) Go to a coffee shop. Getting out of the house can work wonders for your concentration.
6) Bring your headphones to said coffee shop! Nothing is more distracting for my brain than loud conversations at the next table over. We writers like to be around other people, as long as we can pretend they don’t really exist.
7) Stare at covers of your other books. This can help dispel the “OMG THERE’S NO WAY I CAN POSSIBLY WRITE A BOOK” feeling.
8) Drink more coffee.
9) Eat some chocolate.
10) And my favorite way to get into the writing mood? Blast some Bollywood music!!! Nope, not kidding about this one. Seriously. Watch this video and tell me it doesn't get you into the mood to write a romance novel! http://youtu.be/Sm3Fc2whOGQ
- Inara’s Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
- Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo Books | iTunes
- Genre: Contemporary Romance
- Length: 200 pages
- Release Date: November 2013
- ISBN: 978-1-62266-289-0
Looking for Mrs. Right…
Single father of three, Ross Bencher, knows the kind of woman he wants: someone predictable, reliable, and safe, who can give his kids the security they deserve. Someone entirely different from high-altitude mountaineer Kelsey. Kelsey bewitches him with her long legs and wild passion and is about as far from his ideal as a woman can get, but try telling that to his body. Or his heart…
Falling for Mr. Wrong…
When Kelsey agreed to fill in as a temporary nanny for her best friend’s agency before a big climbing expedition, she had no idea she’d be working for drop-dead sexy Ross Bencher, a man she can’t seem to keep her hands off. She knows if she wants to bring herself—and her father—back alive from the Himalayan Mountains, she can’t afford second-guessing, attachments, or distractions. But Ross’s blue eyes and strong hands leave her gasping…and questioning everything she’s ever known about love…
Bestselling author Inara Scott grew up on a steady diet of true love, heaving bosoms, and happily ever after. Romance inspired her first novel, penned at the age of 14, titled A Wild and Stormy Passion. Today, Inara writes anything and everything, including young adult fiction and adult romance. Inara loves to hear from readers, and can often be found avoiding actual work by playing on Twitter (@inarascott) and Facebook.